CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, August 28, 2008

A New Hope

As I sit here just finishing up watching the Democratic National Convention I am filled with tears. I am amazed that 45 years ago today, Martin Luther King, Jr. made his now famous "I Have a Dream" speech, I am seeing his dream come to life. Even as few as 10 years ago I was in denial that America was ready for a minority president - whether that minority be black, Hispanic or female. I am so proud of how we have evolved as a country. I am so proud that our country, as a whole, looks not at the outside but at the values and morals and beliefs of the people vying to become president.

I am not saying I am going to vote for him. Since I've been able to vote I have never been so unsure. I'm not in love with either one of the choices for president and both scare me in their own ways. He was very inspirational, but is that enough? I really need to look to find out more substance about him. There are so many things that Obama said that I found myself nodding my head with in agreement. I didn't agree with everything, to be sure, but I agreed a whole lot more than I imagined I would. This is the first time I've been able to listen to him without children and whatnot interrupting, so please, don't hate on me that I'm not completely up to date on current events. I am looking forward to the Republican National Convention to see how I feel, especially to find out who McCain has chosen as his running mate - which is supposedly going to happen tomorrow. Even more, I look forward to seeing the debates.

Man, my husband is going to be so happy when this election is over. He is SO not into politics. I think he cares more now, but still...he just doesn't really care so much.

Oh, and how cool is it that the MLK biography I ordered from Paperbackswap got here today? Hmm...I think I know what I will be reading before bed.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with you. I don't particularly LOVE either of them, although seeing him speak on the 45th anniversary was like watching the dream unfold. I'm very torn on who to vote for - I should just write in Jon Stewart on my ballot :) And of course Eric, Richmond's little political science buff, likes to analyze things with me - meaning he analyzes and I nod my head occasionally. :)