CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, August 8, 2008

Taking a Leap of Faith

A few months ago, I applied - somewhat haphazardly - for a program specifically for military spouses to be come an accredited financial counselor. Hmm....let's just see if I get it. In all honesty, I didn't really think much about applying. I think I was more interested in seeing if I would even get it. I didn't care if I got it and didn't really expect to with my lack of any real experience to speak of.

Well, the day comes when they were supposed to let you know if you were accepted to the program. And then the day went. I realized I was actually disappointed that I didn't get the congratulatory email. I think I realized then that I actually wanted into the program. Or maybe I just wanted to get a "yes". Who knows. Who knew that the next day I would get that email, it was just a day late.

I was pretty excited, ok, make that very excited - though I was very cautious at the same time. I filled out my resume - again - in order to determine my number of practicum hours. Ok, it wasn't bad, right in the middle. So I filled out the letter of intent and mailed it in.

YIKES! What have I just done? I have been questioning my sanity ever since. Ok, I've been questioning it even more since yesterday when I picked up my books from the post office. Seriously? What was I thinking? I've got 2 courses to take and about 5 books to read and my husband will be gone at least 2 of the weeks of my first course (either 5 or 9 weeks depending on which session I get enrolled in) and I've still got other commitments to adhere to as well as taking care of my 2 children and maintaining a home! *deep breath*

So I'm considering this a leap of faith. I'm guessing - hoping, praying - that this is the Lord's will for me. That if I had really thought about it I would have never said yes. I know that with this accreditation I will be able to find a job and begin to build my career (if I so choose) once we leave here/kids are in school/whenever or wherever we live basically.

So, here I sit, at 12:30 a.m., suffering from insomnia and thinking about all the things I should be doing (like reading that Personal Finance text, or sleeping) and realizing that sometimes God doesn't allow us to really think things through before we make a decision. In my case, I think this was a good thing. I would have over thought it and said no. I love being a student and who knows? Maybe this is my calling in life and I don't even know it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't know teaching was God's calling for me till I got rejected from medical school...and yes, it's taken me about two years to admit that. I love my classes and I am in a profession where I'm sorely needed and can make a difference...just like you. I have this quote on my bulletin board and love it.

"For this reason, I remind you to stir into flame the gift of God that you have through the imposition of my hands. For God did not give us a spirit of cowardice, but rather of power and love and self-control." 2 Tm 1: 1-8

Just a Girl in a Port said...

You are going to excel. I have no worries about that. You can juggle the kids, home and deployments. It may take a lot of sugar and caffeine, but if I can do it, so can you. ;)

Mary said...

I wish I was still there to put an arm around your shoulder and tell you that you can do this...you will have days when you feel like you can't, but you can and you will.

Melissa said...

You are going to do awesome! Doing something just for you, that is not mommy or wife realated will give you a wonderful outlet for your amazing talents that don't fit into kids and hubby.